Borrowing Information

Material Loan Periods

  • Books: 3 weeks exceptions noted below
  • Audiobooks: 3 weeks
  • Music CDs: 3 weeks
  • Children's Holiday Books & DVDs (in season): 1 week
  • Interlibrary Loan (fee varies): Varies
  • Kits-book/cassette or CD: 3 weeks
  • Lyric Opera materials (in season): 1 week
  • Magazines: 1 week
  • Nooks: 3 weeks
  • Playaways: 3 weeks
  • Records: 3 weeks
  • Hot Picks: 3 weeks
  • DVDs (Children's Room): 3 weeks
  • Feature DVDs/Blu-rays: (NEW/those shelved in the lobby) will be checked out for one week (no renewals) at no charge. Limit 5 per library card.
  • Feature DVDs/Blu-rays (OLDER/those NOT shelved in the lobby) will be checked out for for 3 weeks (renewals ok)
  • Feature DVDs obtained from other libraries through interlibrary loan: 1 week
  • DVDs/Blu-rays (non feature films): 3 weeks
  • Video Games: 3 week
  • iPads: 2 weeks
  • Laptops (in-library use only): 3 hours

Renewing Items

You can renew items in person, by telephone (847-256-6947), or through My Account in our online catalog. If an item is renewable, it will automatically be renewed. Most renewable items can be renewed up to four times. You will receive notification of renewal three days before an item's due date.


You can receive notifications about upcoming due dates, overdue items, and availability of reserved titles in a variety of ways: e-mail, text message, phone call, or by mail. These preferences are set when you get a library card. Should you wish to change them later:

  • Visit the My Account section of our online catalog.
  • Sign in using your library card number and password.
  • Select My Account.
  • Select My Record.
  • Select Contact Information and Preferences to change your notification preferences.
  • Select the Submit Change Request button.

If you have any questions, please contact our Circulation department at 847-256-6947.

Remote Book Drops

You may also return most items (Do not return Library of Things items at the remote book drops) to the remote books drops located at:

  • Linden CTA Purple Line Station, 4th and Linden Ave.
  • Plaza del Lago, 1515 Sheridan Rd.
  • Community Recreation Center, 3000 Glenview Rd.


Wilmette Library will no longer charge fines for overdue items to any patrons who check out items at our library. Items checked out at other libraries may still accrue overdue charges depending on an individual library’s policy. Lost and damaged items usually require the full replacement cost of the item. Fines for out-of-system interlibrary loans (ILLs) may vary and are determined by the lending library.

Read our Fine Free FAQ here.

Blocked Status

Reasons you may have a blocked status on your library card include:

  • If an item is more than two weeks (14 days) overdue after all permitted renewals are exhausted, borrowers will be restricted and will not be able to check out any additional items. Once the item is returned, the restriction is removed from the borrower’s account;
  • If there are lost or damaged items on the account;
  • If items are not returned after 45 days overdue, you will be billed at the cost of replacement. If the borrower returns materials after the account is settled, the replacement cost will be credited back to the account. 

Note that a blocked status prevents your library card number from authenticating with our digital services; you will not be able to access your e-books or other databases until the blocked status has been removed.

Any questions about your library card status should be directed to our Circulation department: 847-256-6947

Reciprocal Borrowing Privileges 

If you retain a library card from a non-CCS library (e.g. Chicago, Arlington Heights, Skokie), you will be asked to present your current library card and 2 forms of identification (which display your address) in order to be added to the computer system and borrow items from Wilmette Public Library.

Non-Resident Cards

In 2006, the Library Board decided that the library…” will issue non-resident cards to homeowners and renters in (1) villages or unincorporated areas that do not have tax supported library service or (2) villages or unincorporated areas that have tax supported library service but wish to enjoy full service from WPL. A person residing outside of the public library service area must apply for a non-resident library card at the public library closest to the person’s principal residence.” A copy of the individual's current tax bill is needed to calculate the fee for a non-resident card.


Go to top