Award-winning musician and author Jim Gill invites Wilmette and Kenilworth children and families to work together to create a video book inspired by his picture book May There Always Be Sunshine. Everyone will be able to see Jim singing our book when it is finished!
Want a preview? Check out this video featuring Jim and members of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
Thursday, June 3, 4:00-4:30. For the whole family. Our video book project kicks off with this live musical event with Jim! Jim will sing a few songs to get things started and then explain how you can create a page for our community book. Children do not have to attend this program to submit their art. Register on our online calendar for the Zoom invitation.
Create a "May There Always Be" page, with your original idea and artwork, and Jim Gill will make your page part of our Wilmette Public Library video book!
Each child thinks of a “May There Always Be” wish. The child writes that wish on a page, or a family member helps the child write down the idea. Then the child creates an illustration for the page.
Younger children often have an adult help them write down their ideas.
Older children can often do the writing and artwork independently.
1. You might want to hear the song before you begin. You can listen on YouTube.
2. Spend some time thinking of your wish: "May there always be _____________." Think of the ONE thing or ONE person or SOMETHING to do...that is your favorite. Please make sure you select only ONE wish! If you are thinking "cake and ice cream," choose ONE of those wishes: cake or ice cream.
3. Write your idea on a piece of paper. Young children may need an adult's help. Older children may be able to write independently.
4. Create the artwork on the same piece of paper.
5. Write your first name on the front of your paper.
6. Turn in your artwork at the Youth Services Desk by Thursday, June 24. One drawing per child, please!
7. The Library will scan all artwork and send it to Jim for inclusion in the video book. If you would like your original artwork returned to you, please include contact information on the back of the artwork.